Monday, May 12, 2008

high on a mountain top

back in mammoth. it is truly magnificent here right now. there is no one in town, it is sunny and warm, we wear hoodies while snowboarding... it also means that all is better in santa cruz. todd's dad is taking walks, eating burritos, pretty much anything but laying in a coma-like state. we are very thankful. hospitals are surreal, especially once they become familiar. but i digress.

mammoth. we are unemployed, so there isn't much we have to do. this kind of freedom is pretty scary to me, i have to be honest. my mom, who is wise beyond her years, keeps reminding me that this will be over before we know it and i must embrace all this free time. to that i say. . .

how was i so lucky that the universe gave me my mother as my mother?????????????? someone my mom and i both admire would say that i chose her to be my mom and i definitely know why: she is wise and accepting and caring and beautiful and full to the brim with love and wonder. my grandma often refers to her as her little angel and it is kind of true. my heart bursts when i think about her. really. again i digress.

today the wind blew so hard that instead of attempting to snowboard we went hiking.

there is still so much snow, especially when you get way back in the mountains.
actually, there is so much snow, there wasn't a hiking trail at all, just snow and up.
my dad rides his mountain bike back here. there was no one at all for miles and miles.
and then, out of the blue blue skies, came snow. snow!!!
so we called it a day at a natural hot tub we found on the way home. and some tecates too.

we are considering moving to mammoth once our round the country tour is over. it has captured our imaginations. we feel more alive here than anywhere.
but we are just playing real life, we don't have to make any decisions yet.

No comments: